Hello!

My postings are not deep or analytical, they are simply my thoughts about life on the other side of the blackboard. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Who Sprung the Spring?

Every year this happens and yet, once again, it has taken me completely off guard. Just like every day, I hop into my little zoom-zoom and putta-putta to school. Just like every other day I have more plans than the time it takes to complete them. And just like every other day my darling students appear anxious and excited to see me. But wait...

There's something today that seems amiss. No longer are my little darlings bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to absorb my every word. No longer do I feel that lovely sense of calm and well-being inside. Oh no (sigh), not now. For now I know my lovely world has changed...somebody has sprung my entire classroom into Spring!

Ahh yes, Spring. That wonderful time when flowers bloom, birds sing... and elementary school aged children turn into bumbling idiots. Too soon you say? They're much too young for such feelings to be aroused? Well, think again.

You'd think I would have remembered the general course of events that occur during a school year simply because I have been through this a couple DOZEN times. I mean, even Pavlov's dog figured out the routine after a few dinner bells. But no. I swear, I fall for it year after year after year. Sincere teacher, doing her best to keep the kiddies happy (secretly thinking she is at the homestretch of another school year) and BLAMO!!! Spring has sprung.

I was sharing this comment with a fellow colleague. She explained that she too was noticing the "boy meets girl" action in her classroom as well. But what I learned from her is that Spring is international and crosses through all cultures. For example, she has a student who is from Japan and does not speak a work of English (don't even get me going on the upcoming state test and YES she is still expected to have him score proficient or better-HA!) anyway, a little girl in her class said the boy from Japan was her boyfriend. When asked how she knew that, since the child speaks absolutely no English- the girl said, "He pointed to me, made a heart figure with his hands and put it on his chest." AWE! Now even I think that's cute!

So pull out the posies it's time to feel love renewed-enjoy!


7 comments:

kristin said...

That is one thing I don't miss! There is a definite energy in the air once Valentine's Day rolls around and the energy just keeps building until the last day of school. Bueller...Bueller...

benhhubbard said...

Man are you smart. I wish I could put words together like that. My first-sixth grade were all one...so you take your pick.

chrisremsburg said...

Ahh, 8th and 9th graders and the drama of it all... I love working with this age...no two days are the same. What am I thinking! No two hours are the same! And the notes! Wonderful reading!

kristin said...

Which grade was your favorite, Taryn?

Miss T said...

When I was a kid I was sucessful in 3rd grade. I felt popular and powerful, kinda went downhill after that! You?

kristin said...

4th grade was definitely my favorite. I had Mr. Samaniego and he seemed so hip compared to the older women teachers I had had previously. Also, he took each of us to lunch at McDonald's, which would be so unheard of today! Great teacher and a really fun year!

Miss T said...

Man, transporting kids in personal cars afterschool? Been there, won't do that anymore either! He was the cool teacher-I remember that!