Hello!

My postings are not deep or analytical, they are simply my thoughts about life on the other side of the blackboard. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Baby Blues

In they come, two darlings from more than 7 years ago. Each time I see them
(about twice a year) they appear to be so grown up and mature. Then, after a few moments together, I begin to see the faces of the little girls who were my charges for one full year. Each one still giggles in the same way, pokes her friend with the same finger pinch. It appears that not much has changed except their size and the size of the world they now live in.

We catch up. I hear of classes, teachers, boyfriends-boyhates. I hear what the latest trends are in school and what colleges they are thinking about. Then comes the pause. They look at each other, take a deep breath and begin.

"We have some news to tell you," one says.
"Yeah, it's about Sally," blurts the other.

Sally, having been the third part to this girly triangle, was always in the middle of their activities so I wasn't surprised to hear an update on their long time friend.

"She just had a baby last week. We're the god mothers."

I feel pain.

I have known this child since she was four and would come to pick up her older sister who was in my class. She was always a bubble, a free spirit. Full of life, in a life that was less structured than those around her. I feel helpless to help but still feel the need to express my sadness to the girls.

"You realize that you have a huge responsibility-not only to Sally but to her child?"

They nod.

"You need to help her make good choices when she asks, and sometimes when she doesn't."

They nod again.

"At 16 this is a pretty big task for both of you. I want you to know, that even if you are her support team- in the end, whatever happens, it is strictly up to Sally. We can only hope for the best."

We are all silent for a long time. Truly, what can you say?

We hug, kisses on the cheeks and they prepare to leave. As they do, one darling turns to the other..."This room seems so small now."

Yes, indeed. Their world had apparently grown, again... Enjoy?

2 comments:

kristin said...

I need a Kleenax after this one! Wow. That was really touching...especially your line about how their world has grown again. You didn't tell me these posts were going to make me emotional!

Miss T said...

You are so kind-thank you Big K!