Hello!

My postings are not deep or analytical, they are simply my thoughts about life on the other side of the blackboard. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hug O' War

So, I'm sitting in the eye doctor's office, drifting away not thinking about much, then suddenly I realize...man, my life is great. Well, ok, there were a few steps before I came to that conclusion and technically, I probably had to have a couple of thoughts in order to make that conclusion...but either way, in the end, I realized...man, my life is great.

Here is how it happened.

My eye doctor is a part of a big practice in a medical building downtown. Each year I visit to have my old peepers dilated and given the once over, medically speaking, of course. This year like the others, I sat in the waiting room-waiting. Not novel I agree but once I was seated for a few minutes, I started really checking out my environment.

The first thing I noticed was that there were no windows-none. After making that observation, I then continued to drill that point home with each new location I was taken to. Examination room-none, receptionist room- none, eye drop place-none. Everywhere I looked there were none, none, none.

I mean think of it, the staff there cannot tell if it is day or night, hot or cold, winter or summer. Their only reminder of the world outside is the tiny clock on their computer screens that flashes when it is time to go home. Yuck.

Having made that connection I next began noticing the interactions the people who worked there were having.

"No, Mr. Q that is NOT the proper insurance form and we do expect you to pay in advance."
"No, the doctor is not available at that time..."
"Please hold."
"Hello? Please hold."
"You have to speak louder!!" (something I do not believe I have EVER said in my job!)

And on and on. It almost felt confrontational with abrupt, stilted conversation.

In my world we are filled with words. There are times that we run out of time to tell all our stories we have so many words. Details, sound effects, animated faces, with hands and feet waving all at the same time.

In my world we certainly have times of conflict but I never cease to be amazed at how children will still open their arms to you right after. "Hello!" and hugs abound in an elementary school- almost to the point where you may take them for granted...unless you go to the eye doctor's office. Once there, you just might get your eyes opened in more ways than one! Enjoy.

I will not play at tug o'war.
I'd rather play at hug o'war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.

Shel Silverstein
from Where the Sidewalk Ends







4 comments:

Judi said...

I don't know that I've ever told you this, but you really are an incredible writer!!! I think the world would greatly benefit if you were to write a book!

Miss T said...

I am humbled...Miss "A" without trying in college English!

kristin said...

I agree with Judi--you are a great writer. This last installment really made me appreciate being able to look out the window during the day, something that I take for granted!

Can I be your literary agent? In these difficult economic times, I need a sure thing. :)

Miss T said...

I'd be honored, is Emily willing to share you?