Hello!

My postings are not deep or analytical, they are simply my thoughts about life on the other side of the blackboard. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Unprepared

Several years ago there was a special on TV about the changing expectations of schools in America. Basically, this show dispelled any ideas about what public education is today in comparison to what many people remember from days gone by. Even though public education is still dealing with the same client that it has for years-children, their and their family's needs have altered tremendously.

After watching that show, the number one thing that stuck in my mind were the words of an elementary school principal who was interviewed. He stated he was trained in education, yet, instead of academics he was dealing on a daily basis with parents who needed food stamps, children who had untreated health issues, homelessness and more. So much so, that instead of "it takes a village" he felt school needed to be a village, of social workers, psychologists, health care workers etc., who worked along side the educators to meet the needs of today's child. His final line was, "I am just SO unprepared."

It seems like that lost feeling of helplessness happens to me annually.

He came into my classroom like he always did. Head stooped, sly grin.

"Ya got anything I can do?" he asked.

Gus lived across the street from the school, his mother was in prison for selling drugs. He had no contact with her and his grandparents were raising him. It was cute seeing them together- grandparents walking him to school each day, Gus a full head taller than they were leading the way.

Since he lived across the street, I figured that's how he saw me pull in the parking lot that morning... so he decided to come and visit. But on a Saturday? It seemed like he should have millions of fun things to do besides come and help me.

I have always found that when you give a kid a task the conversation will flow-eventually. So on that Saturday I didn't pry, I just gave Gus the broom and told him to help me sweep up. We talked about sports, Gus wanted to be a basketball player, TV, music (hated Rap, loved Hip Hop), just stuff to pass the time.

Once we were finished, room clean, work done for now, out it came.

"My grandma just died. I didn't want to be there when they put her in a bag. My grandpa says when they come to get her they will put her in a body bag and I don't want to watch that."

I nodded.

"Do you want me to go back with you just in case?" I asked.

"Nah, I've been watching the clock, it's been a couple of hours. It's probably ok now."

So he left. And I just wasn't prepared.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

kristin said...

So heart-wrenching...and that's just one of many kids that you deal with who have much more serious things on their minds than homework. I'm glad you went in that Saturday so that he had somewhere to turn.

Miss T said...

You are so right Kristin.