Hello!

My postings are not deep or analytical, they are simply my thoughts about life on the other side of the blackboard. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

An Introduction to Me

Being an elementary school teacher is funny. There are times throughout my day that I just wish people could see what I see all day, know what it takes for me to do my job on a daily basis. Watching little Susie pick her nose, Johnny busy scratching his...ummm, how to put this delicately... how about- privates? Walking around the room as I view the tattling, burping, farting, note passing, and more, that is a constant part of our daily routine. Yet, I know, technically speaking, none of us really know what it takes for someone to do a job other than our own-do we? But for some reason everyone thinks they know about teaching.

I guess because we have all been in school at one time or another the presumption is we are experts in what it is like to be a teacher. I mean, think about it. Almost everybody has a rotten teacher story that they love to whip out the second they hear you are in education. Pontifications abound about what the offending teacher should have, could have done had they been worth their pay. To be honest, there are plenty of "the teacher who saved my life" stories out there too. But I ask, truth be told, can you really be an expert about teaching by having been a student? I say no.

And so...now we have met. My future postings shall share what's been going on in my school daze. I do hope you enjoy.

10 comments:

kristin said...

This is great! I can't wait to follow along! :)

Reverend Michelle Hubbard said...

You are SO AWESOME! Can't wait to read more, and get to know you better.

Miss T said...

Thank you for reading my first blog. I hope I am worthy of your further attention!!

benhhubbard said...

Way to go prof!! You have to have been over the road to know. BenH

Cindy Calabro said...

Teachers inspire & shape lives! My Mom made me picket outside my school once because she said my teacher wasn't getting enough pay. I made my own sign and I remember it said "GREAT TEACHERS NEED GREAT PAY!" (Oh Well, I was only 9 yrs old) but I enjoyed marching around in a little circle. Can't wait to check in on your daily adventures Miss T!

Miss T said...

Hooray for you and your mother! Not much has changed on that horizon. Teachers are still underpaid and students still walk around in circles! Thanks for reading Cindy.

kristin said...

O.K., you have 10 minutes with all of the up and coming governor hopefuls to present your list of Top 5 Education Must Haves. You have been chosen by California elementary teachers to represent their best interests and the interests of the kids. What makes your list and why???

Miss T said...

Oh my goodness, I feel honored to be the first one to answer your challenge. I hope I can to the teachers of California proud!
Here goes:

1. Better working conditions. My room is swept once per week and has not had heat/ac in 5 weeks. Brrrr.

2. A longer school day. If this were to happen we would then have time for P.E. (which has SO many levels of importance, from obesity to good sportsmanship) and social skills (which is actually life skills).

3. Testing should be a reflection of a student's progress and development as opposed to a teacher's effectiveness.(see #5 and feel my pain)

4. Full-time teacher's assistants in every classroom-everyday. Of course, I would love to have one ANYTIME but I hear they do exist.

5. Class size in any grade...including college if you ask me (oh!! you did!) should never be higher than 30 students. My little darlings are young, need to wiggle and according to my district we can have up to 39 children to 1 poor, balding from pulling her hair out, still trying to make a difference, teacher. (see #3 if you want to get a chuckle or cry a little)

Thanks Big K...I have now spoken, how about you?

Unknown said...

Hello Miss T... I am now and forever a fan of yours!!! And I would be honored to sweep your floor. I think you know how much you have helped me...

Shannon

Miss T said...

OMG You must be joking...you have done so much for me!Not to mention I get to go to your premire!( in a tiara if I remember correctly)