Hello!

My postings are not deep or analytical, they are simply my thoughts about life on the other side of the blackboard. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

So, What Would YOU Do?

School is a kinda crazy place. People leave their children for a minimum of 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, with total strangers because...well, that's what you do.

Most times it works out ok, with some "strangers" creating more memorable experiences or possibly having a better rapport with a child than others. Then, at the end of one school year, you take your child from that now "non-stranger" and start all over again the following school year because...well, that's what you do.

Being the "stranger", or teacher, on the other side isn't any less complicated. You have the responsibility of educating someone else's child, the best you can, for a minimum of 6 hours a day, 5 days a week because...well, that's what you do. But unfortunately life isn't that cut and dry.

As a teacher I am paid to educate children. Sure, social skills, learning how to make good decisions all come into play as well, but mostly my job is supposed to be about helping children to try and understand new things. Unfortunately my job isn't that cut and dry either

Example:

Sweet girl enters my class. She does not look at all like the other children in fact, she doesn't look like any student I have ever had before. She has orange/green colored skin, with dark brown circles with crusty scabs under her eyes. It's obvious something is very wrong. As we go outside to play she carefully pulls out a hat from her backpack and places it on her head. When I ask, "What's up?" She explains she is allergic to the sun.

Now, personally I have had 4 or 5 students who were allergic to the sunshine and it truly does cause them grief if they do not keep covered. But for some reason this didn't seem to be the complete answer to all this young lady's problems for as time goes by, this darling seems to be having difficulty keeping up with the class. At times, tired, at times distracted and other times seeming "foggy headed". It seems that there is always something.

One day my darling enters my classroom covered in scratch marks. In fact, her arms are bleeding from scratching so much and she is having difficulty staying put in her seat. What could be going on?? So, I ask.

Darling explains that with the exception of chicken, she is allergic to all meat, most vegetables and fruits, as well as any sugary things. Apparently, the night before her family had gone out for a birthday celebration and ate hamburgers, fries and chocolate sundaes. All the things she was allergic to. She was now suffering the consequences.

Oh my. Surely her family must have known she would break out from head to toe if she were to eat all of these foods. What were they thinking? I swear, I need to call that parent and tell her...

STOP!!! Hold on there.

As a teacher it is my job to educate the future. It is NOT my job to judge, evaluate or preach others in their parenting. As well, in order for me to be successful in my job I need to be allies with my parents so we both can work together to help their child grow. It is a fine line that teachers walk each day, that divides what is and what is not our business to get involved in. And for me, this problem was tippy-toeing all over that line.

So, now you have the facts. What would YOU do? Send me a comment and I'll let you know later the outcome from this story.

No comments: